Friday, May 21, 2010

Summer Reading

As I'm on a forced convalescence, I find myself having a very hard time filling my days. The remedy to this problem? Read read and read some more. Since February, I have read the following books:
-Lullabies for Little Criminals, by Heather O'Neill
-Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, by Stieg Larsson
-The Happiness Project, by Gretchen Rubin
-My Life in France, by Julia Child
-Sarah's Key, by Tatiana de Rosnay
-Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures, by Vincent Lam
-Middlesex, by Jeffrey Eugenides
-The Story of O
-Between the Bridge and the River, by Craig Ferguson


and I am now currently reading Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres. I'm actually scolding myself for not having read more than that since February, but I'm working on catching up this summer. I have a list of books that I plan on reading before going back to school:
-Homer's Odyssey
-Word Origins
-Cellist of Sarajevo
-Book of Negroes
-Longman Anthology of British Literature
-View from Castle Rock
-a couple contemporary poetry books that I picked up from the English Department
-Spenser's Poetical Works
-My Arts 1000 book again before I have to take that damn class again
-and finally, the Hobbit


Any other suggestions on what to fill my library with?

6 comments:

Alexandre said...

Hrm. Only fiction or would non-fiction be okay, as well?

TimbleMouse said...

Anything at all :)

Alexandre said...

Then I'd recommend either Kierkegaard's Repetition or his Fear and Trembling and Nietzsche's Beyond Good and Evil.

Katrina said...

ooo victorian horror - I think you would love it. Dorian Gray is good, and Jekyll and Hyde, but my fave so far is Dracula - freaking me out too much to read at night at the moment, but a really good read. That and Agatha Christie are keeping me pretty happy right now :)

TimbleMouse said...

Thanks Alex, I'll have to look those up. Also, let me know how Second Sex was; I've been meaning to read it!

OMG Katrina I LOVED Dorian Gray!! Definitely Oscar's best! I have both Jekyll and Hyde AND Dracula, so I'll add them to the list :) And I haven't read Agatha in years!! I still have the crooked house here somewhere though lol

Alexandre said...

It's actually pretty good. I'm only at the start now where she essentially lays out why the biological reasons used by men to demonstrate a superiority over women is false and non-applicable.

If ever you read it, read it in its original French. One company owns the English rights to the book and they made a hasty translation and refuse to let anyone translate it.
They don't need to retranslate because every English university that wants to study de Beauvoir (which considering how massive she is in things like gender studies) are forced to buy that book; which means they still make a profit.

And Dorian Grey is very amazing, I have to agree. I need to re-read Jekyll and Hyde...