Sunday, May 9, 2010

Little Piece of Paradise

Welp, I'm back in Campbellton for another week while my man is gone. I'm currently at my cousin Christine's so I have access to internet! Hurrah! Also, FYI my cousin Christine makes the best oatmeal cookies I have ever had. Yum
So I'm gonna start adding some pictures, poetry, short stories, and pieces of my new novel to the blog. Figured I may as well share some of my so-called genius with the world. Here's one that I wrote for a poetry class a year or two ago. It's about my first love.




M'aimes tu encore?



I thought I had missed the ending.


You asked me sheepishly,
your voice cashmere
as Opeth played
"In my Time of Need."
Did you plan that
or was it coincidence?


The conveyor belt in my brain
passed behind my eyes,
a long papercut,
replaying scenes
of a would-be Zefferelli,
our seven year long film:


When you first kissed me
on the gym balance beam outside,
the one closest to the Teacher's Lounge window.


Your mother bringing us lemonade
as we watched the Maple Leafs
lose to the Red Wings.


The last time we made love,
fucked really,
in Parker's bathroom
during his St-Patty's day party.


You had slid your hand down my cheek,
chick flick chic,
and I imagined you
as James Dean
-holding his cigarette like you do
and flicking it with his thumb,
and I
would be Audrey Hepburn,
sleek brown bun and endless collection of ballet flats.


You burnt out too early,
leaving the leading lady
to pout
her maple red lips for the audience.




My mum actually picked this poem out for my blog. She started reading it today. Isn't she cute? Also, it's Mother's day, so I'd like to remind you all to love your Mum's today. My mother is the most beautiful woman I know. She's the one who taught me how to cook, how to grow, and how to find beauty in the most mundane things, like a bale of hay. I love her. Hope you all have a great day, and love to all those mums out there! xoox

No comments: