Saturday, March 20, 2010

Channeling Julia Child

I'm currently reading Julia Child's "My Life in France," and it's got me thinking about food and cooking. 
I was a really picky child. I practically lived off Kraft Dinner and Ketchup sandwiches (disgusting, yes I know). I don't know how my parents put up with me. My Mother on the other hand, LOVES food. All kinds of food. I can't think of one single thing that she won't eat. And my whole life, I've always envied her for that. Her love of food, to me, translated itself as a love of life. 
Well for the last year, I've noticed myself becoming more and more like my mother (and not just in the food sense, but that's a story for another time). I eat so many different things now! I cook with more vegetables, more spices, new recipes. Every time I go to a restaurant, I try something different now. And ya know what? I love it. It's been making me feel SO good. Without this new found sense of adventure, I never would have discovered that I absolutely love eggs Benedict! 
And reading Julia Child's book, it fills me with this insane urge to cook. Now that I have the time to do so, I've found myself REALLY enjoying it! Like tonight, my friends Alissa and Shane are coming over for supper, and we're making shake and bake chicken with honey garlic pasta, and I'm baking brownies for dessert. And I'm SOOOOO excited. A year ago? I would have ordered pizza and bought M&Ms. It's nice to know I've grown up a little, and ya know what? I'm okay with being more like my Mum. I'm enjoying life much more this way :)

2 comments:

Heather said...

I'm so glad that you're discovering the real love of food! :)

I keep telling myself that I'm going to attempt a Julia Child recipe and then I wuss out.

Goal -> by December 31, 2010, I will have made at least 1 Julia Child recipe!

TimbleMouse said...

Isn't she just AMAZING!?! I told my parents that for my birthday, I want the book Mastering the Art of French Cooking! Sometime when you're in town, we'll have to get together and cook and eat! :D