Thursday, March 18, 2010

Back to my mental state

So I was actually thinking of giving up this blog, when my friend Alex told me that he actually reads this. Thinking that no one really did, this suprised me. Encouraged me to continue though :) Nice to know I have an audience, even though I'm sure it's a small one. Thanks Alex :)
I also figured that I should get back to mental hospital story. When I left off, I had gotten a roommate. For her sake, I won't use her real name, but we'll call her Susan just for fun. At first I was really worried. I didn't want a roommate. I had enough to deal with without having to put up with someone else's problems. And at first, she really didn't want to be there, so that made things just a little difficult. But then out of nowhere, we started talking, and we realised how alike we were, especially in our problems. So we really hit it off. We even decided to be friends outside of the hospital walls! It was nice to connect and relate to someone who was going through the same thing. And as cliché as it sounds, group therapy really helped us both!
I was getting worried though because since I had been admitted, my doctor hadn't really done anything different. No new pills, nothing. Just talk therapy, which helped a bit, but I knew I needed something more. Then he started talking about putting me on lithium. This terrified the shit out of me. I had heard horror stories about lithium. And of course it made me feel horrible because of all the stigma that surrounds it. I didn't wanna be that girl, the headcase on lithium. And what would it do to my writing? People had told me that it kills your creative mind. If that would happen to me, I'd rather go back to being anxious and cutting. I would never wanna lose my writing. 
BUT lucky for me, he changed his mind. He decided to put me on another pill called Epival, which is similar to lithium, but works in different ways. And folks, I cannot tell you how much it has helped. I have never been this happy.
But I'm getting ahead of myself. Next post: adventures in the psych ward; what I've witnessed, and how I've escaped!

No comments: