I miss romance. Don't get me wrong, love my boy to death, but romantic? He's not really that kind of guy. I miss flowers. Peach carnations just 'cause he loves me. Instead, I get a wireless router because he wants me to have the luxury of internet even if he's playing Xbox live. Which is sweet in his own way. But I miss mush.
Makes me wonder though: what if that's HIS idea of romance? To me, breakfast in bed isn't romantic, it's just a rather messy annoyance. But for others, it's pure sweetness. So what's your idea of romance?
4 comments:
Romance, it would seem to me, is an act that is not asked of and done with the intention of pleasing the other. An action that acknowledges that the actor does think about his or her partner and will do something for them without provocation.
You know what's funny? A friend of mine messaged me on MSN and told me that he thought you described Consideration, rather than Romance. He found that romance went deeper than just doing a considerable caring act for someone, which is something you can do for just about anyone. He said, and I quote: "[Romance] involves action intended to single out the recipient as special or unique. Romantic becomes an act that is one you would only do for that person."
In a way I kind of agree. To me romance is doing something out of the ordinary, something that you know the other person would love or be excited over. It's just not just red roses, it's peach carnations. Know what I mean?
While I do agree with what he said, I don't see how my own definition excludes that. The act of kindness that would be deemed romantic in the way he explains it simply requires a knowledge of the person you are attempting to surprise/please/etc.
I could as easily do a personal act of kindness to a good friend and it would be deemed romantic by both definitions, it seems. i.e. I can do something for a friend that I would only do for that person.
So the question becomes, then, what separate such an act when it's my significant other or a very close friend?
I don't know that everything I said was quoted here, but the difference is not what yours excludes, but more what it includes. To do something nice without request means you could romanticize a stranger by holding a door open. It's polite and considerate, but it's not really romantic.
An act of romance is one that, by its nature is unique to whom receives it, and bears meaning of how they are elevated in the eyes of the romancer. It is special beyond being thoughtful - something you might do for a close friend. It's the oft added affection, adoration or love of the gesture that makes it romantic.
<_< Or so I'd say.
Post a Comment